Founded in 1947, and with approximately 6,000 members in over 80 countries and many geographical regions, the International Biometric Society (IBS) is an international society for the advancement of biological science through the development of quantitative theories and the application, development and dissemination of effective mathematical and statistical techniques. The Society welcomes as members biologists, mathematicians, statisticians, and others interested in applying similar techniques.
The Society offers members ways to enhance their professional development, and serves as a focal point for members to feel engagement and a stake in the profession beyond their immediate position. IBS provides its members with information, resources, awards, training, online resources, publications, and networking opportunities, all of which help to keep members at the top of their field.
When you join IBS you will receive a wide variety of content and services on demand, including:
- Free online access to Biometrics online.
- Free online access to JABES.
- Access to Biometrics (1947 - 2010) and JABES (1996 - 2009) older issues for a nominal fee through our partner, JSTOR.
- Free online access to Biometric Bulletin, which includes career opportunities, international conference listings, and news from our 30 regions.
- Significantly reduced fees for papers subscriptions to both Biometrics and JABES.
- Discounted registration fees for the International Biometric Conferences.
- Access to all active members’ contact information through the online directory.
- Access to members-only features of the IBS website including online account management and links to our publications.
- Brand new online networking opportunities, with access to more than 6,000 biostatisticians from around the world.
But sometimes, the most important benefits of membership are intangible. For many, being connected to members from nearly every continent opens up a world of possibilities... and perspectives. IBS membership is a truly virtuous circle. In belonging to a community, you are more likely to attend events. In attending events, you are more likely to strike up acquaintance with like-minded (and, just as important, differently-minded) new colleagues with whom you can discuss and deliberate. In meeting new colleagues, you are more likely to form ongoing collaborations and friendships. In forming friendships, you are more likely to feel as though you belong to our community, and so it goes!
Also, in many cases, IBS membership includes access to all of the local conference, service and networking benefits of your local biometric society!
Consider joining IBS, the international home to biostatisticians from around the world. IBS is here to serve you, whether you practice in an academic setting, in business and industry or a government post.
Ready to Join?
Many Regions offer specific local membership services and programs that are not mentioned here. For more information on these services and to determine your Region, please click here for an IBS listing of International Regions.